The City of Glenwood Springs, in conjunction with the Roaring Fork Mountain Bike Association (RFMBA), worked on the South Canyon Trails Plan, which will improve and/or construct 29,850 linear feet of trails for biking, hiking and running use.
Tramway Trail – Shared, beginner foot and bike path beginning at the lower trailhead, crossing South Canyon Creek. Uses old road cuts and steep slopes.
Lightning Bug Trail – Descending-optimized, mountain bike-focused trail beginning at the upper trailhead and descending on mostly moderate slopes between Tramway Trail and County Road 134.
Coal Camp Trail – Shared use, intermediate level trail beginning at the upper trailhead. Views of Horse Mountain ridge.
The project also includes interpretive signage about the South Canyon coal mining operations, which began in the area in 1885 and ended in the 1950s when the City purchased the property. The City contracted with Mountain States Historical to conduct an archaeological survey of specific areas within South Canyon to determine the best locations for mountain bike trail development.